Tuesday, July 22, 2008

DIY Classic Fashion

Whenever I watch an old movie, I'm completely amazed by the fabulous fashion sense all my favorite stars seem to share: it's classic and flattering, and that's something we have less of these days. In trying to come up with a few new ways to recycle my wardrobe, I thought I'd take a stab at re-creating some of my favorite looks.

   
Inspiration: Lauren Bacall in "The Big Sleep"

My Look: 
Black Tank Top - Smart Set
Sweater - Jacob
Checked Skirt - Vintage
    
   
Inspiration: Katherine Hepburn

My Look:
White V-Neck - Vintage
Wide Leg Pants - Piece X Peace

  
Inspiration: Bette Davis in "All About Eve"

My Look:
Black Top with Transparent Silk - Club Monaco
Black Evening Gloves - Jacob 

  
Inspiration: Twiggy

My Look: 
White Turtle Neck - Banana Republic
Wide Leg Pants - Piece X Peace
Belt - Vintage

     
Inspiration: Audrey Hepburn in "Sabrina"

My Look:
Blue Blouse - Vintage
Shorts - Urban Outfitters

 
Inspiration: Ava Gardner in "The Barefoot Contessa"

My Look:
White T-Shirt - Club Monaco
Black Pencil Skirt - Club Monaco
Belt- Vintage
Scarf - Vintage

Remember, getting a great retro style doesn't mean dressing yourself from head to toe in rare vintage pieces: it's easy to make do with what you have. Take inspiration from a classic look by adding a neck scarf, gloves, or a high waisted belt. 

11 comments:

Sharon S said...

You've recreated looks brilliantly, well done!!

Ida said...

Amazing post! The recreations are simply brilliant, and you've got such a beautiful style. I especially loved the last few lines - so much truth in only few words. Kudos!

STYLE DU MONDE said...

Inspiring post! Thank you for this!!

xx

Raiment Urbane said...

This is amazing. Icredible.
Favorites = Ava Gardner in "The Barefoot Contessa" and Audrey Hepburn in "Sabrina".

penelope said...

impressive!

♥ Marta ♥ said...

I love the recreated looks... so pretty. I love watching classics plus everyone always looks exceptionally beautiful :)

Style Spot said...

I like this post so much, you really do recreate the looks extremely well! And I love that you have made the outfits your own and not copied them exactly ;)

xxx

jess said...

Your looks are great

Mary-Laure said...

GREAT POST!
I adore Audrey Hepburn, too.

And your little note at the end of the post is sooooo true and relevant!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment, now I'm back with new entries.
I love this post! Especially your Bette Davis and Audrey Hepburn inspired outfits.

Romeika said...

I love this post, you're so right on your last comment.