Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Movie Review: Wait Until Dark

Year: 1966
Color
Genre: Thriller/Drama
Directed By:
Terence Young
My Rating: 8.8/10

This is one of my favorite flicks of all time: it has an amazing cast, a compelling plot with a couple twists and great dialogue: all the ingredients of a top notch thriller.
The film tells the story of Susy (played by the fabulous Audrey Hepburn), a blind woman who's husband, Sam, has recently returned home from Canada.

While at the Montreal airport, Sam agreed to transport a child's doll for a mysterious woman and keep it at his house in New York. What the couple don't know is that the doll is stuffed with heroin, and that there are three men desperate to get their hands on it by any means possible. After Sam leaves to go to work, the men begin to try and manipulate helpless Susy into giving them the doll, their games becoming more and more dangerous until the shocking and dramatic conclusion.

This is Hepburn at her absolute best: she gives a stunning performance as the terrified, sightless Susy. Alan Arkin is also wonderful in this picture as the intensely creepy Harry Roat, the leader of the three criminals. These performances, combined with outstanding direction and excellent musical score make this movie an absolute must see.

The entire movie is available here on alluc.org, so be sure to check it out.

Cool Stuff:
-The film was adapted from a play in which the final scene was performed in complete darkness
-Theaters dimmed their lights to the lowest legal setting while showing this film
-Hepburn was nominated for an Oscar for her performance as Susy


What's Your favourite Audrey Hepburn Flick?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your comment.
My favorite Audrey Hepburn flick must be Sabrina or Breakfast at Tiffany's even though it isn't that original ;)

Mary-Laure said...

My Fair Lady is my favorite but I also loooooooooove Charade.
She was such a lady and a beauty.

Sharon S said...

I think I won't be the only one to say Breakfast at Tiffanys!! thanks for stopping by my blog!!

penelope said...

even when shes crawling for her life, she looks fabulous...

funny face!

p.s link up?

STYLE DU MONDE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
♥ Marta ♥ said...

I have to watch this film since I love Audrey Hepburn but one of my favorites would have to be Breakfast at Tiffany's :) ... P.S. thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I was wondering if you like to exchange links? Let me know :)

Alice said...

Thank you for your kind words:)

You have great blog!:)

Kira Aderne said...

amazing!!!

a kiss!!!

jess said...

I love audrey hepburn movies. I force my family to watch them. My favorites are breakfast at tiffany's and how to steal a million

Dana (MODAna) said...

Breakfast at Tiffany's! Sorry I'm lame. But, don't tell anyone... that's her only film I've seen..