Sunday, July 6, 2008

The "Femme Fatale" in Film

The idea of a "femme fatale" (which means, "deadly woman" in French) goes back thousands of years, and usually refers to a seductive, beautiful woman who uses her charms to use and manipulate men to their advantage. With the introduction of film noir in the early 1940's, the femme fatale has become an icon: she is alluring and sexy, but incredibly poisonous: she has the ability to drive men to obsession and near-madness, and she will do anything to get what she wants . Here are a few of my favourite femme fatale characters in film over the last 68 years.

By far the most dangerous and attractive femme fatale in the history of film noir is Phyllis Dietrichson (played by Barbara Stanwyck), a woman who persuades a man to murder her husband in Double Indemnity (1944).


Mary Astor as the evil Brigid O'Shaughnessy in my favourite noir, "The Maltese Falcon" (1941).


Ann Blyth as the scheming adolescent Veda in "Mildred Pierce" (1945).


Kim Novak gives an incredible performance as Madeleine Elster in Alfred Hitchcock's 1958 masterpiece, "Vertigo".

Faye Dunaway as Evelyn Cross Mulwray, the apparant femme fatale of Roman Polanski's "Chinatown" (1974)


Isabella Rossellini gives a different take on the Femme Fatale as Dorothy Vallens in the 1986 cult film, "Blue Velvet".


I love Glenn Close as the sexy Alex Forrest, who drives a man to infidelity in the 1987 thriller "Fatal Attraction".


Sharon Stone as the irresistible novelist Catherine Tramell in "Basic Instinct" (1992).


Who's your favourite?

13 comments:

Raiment Urbane said...

I love this post. I'm all for powerful women, Glen Close was amazing in Fatal atraction.

jess said...

that was informative. I haven't seen any of those movies, which one do reccomend most?

Mariel said...

RE: Jess- Definitely recommend "Double Indemnity" the most, if you don't mind old movies. If you want to watch something more contemporary, I'd suggest "Fatal Attraction". Thanks for the comment!

Sharon S said...

Hi there-a great post!! thanks for stopping by my blog too!

Couture Carrie said...

Awesome post! Kim Novak is one of my faves. Also, I have to see the Maltese Falcon!

Mary-Laure said...

kim novak! hitchcock! i looooooove!

WendyB said...

I LOVE Mildred Pierce. I have to watch it again!

penelope said...

sharon stone!

Dana (MODAna) said...

when I think Femme Fatale in film I think Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction. Though she was just a drugged up trophy wife. Her hair and lipstick made her a fatale trophy wife :)

♥ Marta ♥ said...

To me it's Sharore Stone ... :)

Style Spot said...

I love femme fatals..there's just something so intriguing about them! A few of these movies I haven't seen, so thanks for this great post!

x

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your lovely comment.
Your blog is amazing - I have a big love for movies as well.

Kira Aderne said...

those women really are fatale!!!


a kiss!

thanks for passing at my blog, i am adding you to my feeds, so let´s be in touch!